Red Clark

Anonymous
Mon, 1/29/2018 - 12:16pm

I'm returning to school at the age of 50, nearly 25 years after my first degree, (AA in automotive tech, Shasta College, class of '94). Since then I've been a mechanic, cabinetmaker, and even an apprentice farmer of sorts. All these professions are a bit too physical for me these days and I had to make a big change. SRJC has been a major blessing in my life right when I needed to reinvent myself. A LOT has changed since my days at Shasta, but the quality of education at California's JC's has remained amazingly high. I'm now pursuing a degree in Computer science. My IT certificate program plans were shot down by silly financial aid rules or I'd be a lot more employable after this semester and might not need financial aid any more, but I digress.... My story is still being written, but I have made great friends and found a mentor or two since I started in spring 2017. I look forward to completing my courses here and moving on to SSU or HSU for my Bachelor's Degree, but I'm still not sure what's coming after that. It's very likely that the profession I'll move into doesn't even exist yet... unless I become a teacher myself, which is a possibility I'm open to but not focused on. What better way to give back though?