Amy Leader

Anonymous
Tue, 4/18/2017 - 2:54pm

I feel blessed that I attended SRJC. In 2012 at the age of 42 I re-entered school to pursue obtaining a college education that I walked away from when I was nineteen years old. August 2012 I began with the plan to study Studio Arts, and English/Creative Writing. My true passion is painting and even though I had dropped out of school I intermittently with other tasks in life, painted and made art. This included a brief stint at Antenna Theater in Sausalito where I was a fabricator, and assistant art director. I was making art for Chris Hardman who founded the theater company. Ultimately it became unsatisfying because I wanted to create art rather than making work for another artist. I am also a natural teacher. It was often appreciated by the instructors at SRJC that my eclectic experiences in life gave me relative information to share with the class to punctuate a point the teacher was making. This also helped me to learn material efficiently and get to know my instructors well. When I left SRJC in December of 2015 I was accepted for transfer to Mills College with a full scholarship as a second semester
junior. I am happy to report that I just presented in the 2017 Senior Thesis Exhibition a total of six paintings hung in the Mills College Art Museum an I will walk in the graduation ceremony on May 13, 2017 with candidacy for my BA in Studio Art with a minor in English Literature that I will receive in January 2018 after I complete three remaining units during the Fall 2017 semester.

The instructors that I had at SRJC all deserve praise but there are a few that I must mention in particular for the time and attention with inspiration to keep going and focus on learning to grow as a human being and an artist. I am forever grateful to: Abby Bolomogny, Michael Loffredo, Suzanne Lacke, Stephanie Sanchez, Jennifer Palladini, Chris West, Craig Foster, and Gina Telecocci.

I cannot praise SRJC enough!